Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fellow passengers

Travelling and trips have long been metaphors for life’s journey. The mythology of discovery of enlightenment or wisdom along a pathway from where one is to where one is going is a core narrative in human story-telling around the world. Along the journey of our life we meet so many people, often never knowing at the time which ones will be with us for the long haul and what we will learn from our fellow passengers.

As I travelled this month I witnessed friends, lovers, families experiencing tearful goodbyes and reunions, joyful and boisterous welcomes, promises of postcards to be sent, thank you’s for home-cooked meals… I too exchanged these with dear friends during my trip – friends whom I feel like I’ve known my whole life. Forgiveness, unconditional love, affection, and support are at the foundation of these relationships. These friends are now like family to me. I wonder if I need them too much – what do I give to them? That time will come… hopefully I will be ready.
.

No comments: