Sunday, September 23, 2007

First wedding anniversary

Today is my first wedding anniversary. It's been a day of very mixed emotions...

This morning a group of us including Chris' family and friends participated in the Kidney Foundation's annual Be a Lifesaver Walk for Organ Donation Awareness. The weather was gorgeous and the turnout and funds raised were about double last year's figures! I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the people who joined my team and came out to walk with me in support of this wonderful cause. I was also overwhelmed the generosity of our sponsors - the final tally for our team, Carpe Diem Chris, was over $4000 towards transplant research! I feel that Chris was with us every step of the way.


Of course, it's hard not to think of this day last year - our wedding day, when we promised to love and cherish "as long as we both shall live". We never imagined it would be so very short a marriage when we had so much love to share; when everything in our lives finally seemed to be falling into place; when the future looked so full of happiness and promise.

Our wedding ceremony also included a request for a Declaration of Support from family and friends as read by our officiant:
As their families and friends, you form the community of support that surrounds Sandra and Christopher. Each of you, by your presence here today, is being called upon to uphold them in honouring and loving each other. Always stand beside them, never between them. Offer them your love and support, not your judgement. Encourage them with your kindness and loving hearts, and honour this marriage into which they have come to be joined today.
In the past several months, this support has been absolute and it is the reason I'm able to get out of bed in the morning; the reason I know that - one day - I will look forward to the future.

I will always be thankful for Chris coming into my life and I will always celebrate this anniversary of love. I love you & I miss you, ваша Кошенька.

First dance, "Rainbow Connection" Sept. 23, 2006
[thanks to Charlene for the video clip!]
.

No comments: